Tuesday 4 April 2017

People ask you, how are you and you say I'm fine.  But really, that's just a formal answer in a polite society.  What is exactly fine?  Nothing if you ask me.  Speaking from my perspective, there is the same anxiety, the same confusion and the daily grind to keep the wolf at the doorstep.  They say that if you share your sorrow with someone, the thing lessens in its intensity.  But the human reality is that nobody really wants to take additional burden of what is it that's eating you, and who could blame them for you friends and family are bearing their own crosses.  I am a great believer in not making a spectacle of my troubles.  When I hear how somebody got upset because some friends and acquaintances did not come to see them while they were really sick, it never ceases to amaze me.  Why would you want anybody to intrude into your private grief!  If I have a happy moment in my life, I would let everyone in.  I would like to have a carnival.  But I would like to be alone in my anguish, I will not have a spectacle.  The joy and the happiness, no matter how great, can be taken away from you by somebody.  The only thing that is truly and solely yours is your own suffering.

1 comment:

  1. I respectfully disagree with this sentiment. While you may want to keep to yourself for reasons of privacy, you (and I mean generally people, not you in particular) cannot decide for me. Whether or not I chose to share your burden is my decision. I may be self centered and live in my own bubble. I may chose to not empathize with you or provide the necessary emotion you are seeking when you are low. But it is my decision to make and you have to allow me that opportunity. Another thing, not everyone is the same. There is 1 in every 10 people, who may genuinely be interested in being a part of all your moments. That 1 person may want to ride the high and the lows with you. On some days, you may want to be a part of my downfalls too. We live in a world of giving and taking because nothing is beautiful if it cannot be shared.

    ReplyDelete

#241

As they say, one should be gracious in victory and generous in defeat.  So, let me be generous enough in admitting that this sledgehammer o...