Thursday 7 April 2016

Watching this fine movie ''Brooklyn'' the other day, I was quite moved by the scene which appear right at the very end.  It's the scene where Ellis, having come back to New York after much deliberation, spots Tony right across the street, happily going about his business and quite oblivious to the jumble of emotions that Ellis is going through at that moment.  And then, as soon as she sees him, there is a perfect moment of clarity where all of her indecision and confusion are washed away at the mere sight of him.  She realizes that he is the only man for her, who has been waiting patiently for her to come back.  She is damn sure that Tony is the love of her life and that this is Home for the rest of her life.  She cuts through the traffic to clasp him in a tight embrace as the credits started rolling.  I am not usually prone to maudlin ruminations, but it engendered in me a vague sense of longing for a time gone by.  After all, my sister also went to the  US, was on her own, and through sheer will and hard work not to mention the support of friends and kindness of strangers, has forged a life for herself.  What also resonated with me is like the protagonist in the movie, she also found the love of her life and future husband in Michael, now America is home and I am so proud of both of them.
  Speaking of which, it is always a special occasion for me when both Mike and my sister Bob come to India.  There is this sense of anticipation, and when they're actually here, the time just flies and before you know it, it's time to go back.  You almost feel cheated because there is much emotional investment on everyone's part, and so meager return!  The paucity of time, the elasticity of time.  How in moments of distress, it keeps on expanding, and when you are enjoying your time, it just vanishes in a jiffy, is quite remarkable.  But I always cherish the times I got to spend with Michael.  I think I can talk to him about anything.  He has got this instinctive grasp of where I am coming from on something.  Watching The Godfather movie together was the most fun.  I have maintained that when it comes to expressing complicated thoughts, I am much more at home with English, so in that sense communicating with Mike was quite enjoyable for me.  I could tell him some unvarnished truth about India, and could also pick his brains about America.  In the end, I would just say Bob and Mike, you guys know your stuff!

   

1 comment:

  1. Finally read this piece!
    Everyone I met in NY has a survivors story to tell & Deepti's is one of the toughest journey. Yet she manages to be optimistic about love and life always. Flawless Mike & Superfly Bobby are the best people to brighten your day.

    ReplyDelete

#241

As they say, one should be gracious in victory and generous in defeat.  So, let me be generous enough in admitting that this sledgehammer o...