Thursday 23 May 2019

#241

As they say, one should be gracious in victory and generous in defeat.  So, let me be generous enough in admitting that this sledgehammer of a verdict in favor of Narendra Modi is a massive endorsement of the kind of politics the BJP represents, with which I will never agree.  But then, I can only speak for myself.  However, I am also realistic enough to see that a substantial number of people in this country at the moment have internalized the ideas of muscular nationalism, Muslims being put in their place, Hindutva, anti-intellectualism etc etc.  Even if you know that in the long run, these are recipe for disaster; but don't they say that in the long run we all are dead?  Anyway, I should not be churlish, but should rather offer my congratulations to all the friends and families who have always blindly rooted for Modi no matter what.  Today, people like us will have to find other distractions.  Tomorrow is another day.  There will be other elections.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#241

As they say, one should be gracious in victory and generous in defeat.  So, let me be generous enough in admitting that this sledgehammer o...