Tuesday 18 April 2017

As far as I am concerned, both Aazan and Hari-kirtan played on loudspeaker are equally intolerable.  They not only annoy the hell out of me, I feel a sort of panic attack coming over me.  If at all I am forced to choose, I would say that aazan lasts for not more than 2 minutes, so, I can manage that.  But what about the endless hours of torture having to endure the loud blaring of kirtans, satsang, bhagwat puran not to mention mata ki chowki, which is so much in fashion these days among a section of the Hindu middle class.  Sometimes, I do get the feeling that it's a deliberate assertion of religiosity in your face.  Your right to play your devotional music ends exactly where my right to have some peace and quiet begins.  India is already a hot and crowded place at the best of times.  By displaying this overt fondness for different religion in public sphere, they are unleashing hell, not heaven.

1 comment:

  1. I agree! Sooner or later someone will bring this matter to the Centre by way of the suggestion box (Isn't there one?).

    One funny instance comes to my mind - during Ganpati festival, the mandaps used to play all devotional songs during the day. At night after aarti, they would tune in Bollywood songs and the organizers would enjoy dancing on the streets. It was hilarious to see the same audience enjoying raunchy number who earlier in the day drowned in saffron robes, tikas on their forehead and rosaries.

    ReplyDelete

#241

As they say, one should be gracious in victory and generous in defeat.  So, let me be generous enough in admitting that this sledgehammer o...