Saturday 10 September 2016

One last word on Burkini ban and I will rest my case.  Like my good friend Sweta commented on my previous post, I am second to none in my unstinting support for freedom of choice and women’s right to be who they want to be and live how they want to live.  But you know, every time a Muslim woman fights for her purely legitimate right to put on Burking or any other kind of veil in the name of cultural identity in a liberal Western society, it strikes a blow against thousands of woman who are struggling to discard full body Hijab in the oppressive Muslim world from Arabia to Africa.  Sometimes symbolism becomes more important than substance.  After all, why were so many women burning their bras on the streets of New York and other cities of United States in the 70s during the feminist movements?
In India the moment you achieve even some minor sporting success and PV Sindhu’s achievements are by no means minor, but I hope you catch the drift.  Now everybody in this country wants a piece of her.  Ever since she has come back from Rio Olympics, there have been endless rounds of felicitations, from politicians, to private organizations, to many charities and whatnot.  There have also been some ritual temples hoping thrown in for good measure.   People just want to milk her success for all its worth.  I mean it must create so much distraction.  I just hope all this adulation doesn’t go to her head and she loses focus.

I have no hesitation in admitting that I am a shameless celebrity watcher, not so much of the Indian variety but international one.   But there is one so called ‘’celebrity’’ that I positively loath has to be Miley Cyrus.  I just don’t fancy her at all.  I know and have also seen some of the numerous naked pictures she has posted online.  But seriously, who would be interested in seine Miley Cyrus naked!!  Even if somebody pays me to collect naked pictures of her, I’d thanks but no thanks.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

#241

As they say, one should be gracious in victory and generous in defeat.  So, let me be generous enough in admitting that this sledgehammer o...