Friday 2 September 2016


In the wake of the controversy surrounding the ban on Burkini enforced by the French authorities, I was wondering where do you stand of this.  Personally, I don't have too much problem with this.  I fully understand the logic and desirability of freedom of choice for not only women, but for every human being.  However, this piece of garment is an innovative idea to exercise a kind of trendy control over women's bodies.  Even if a lot of women have adopted this out of their own choice, my point is that they have done so because of the way they have been conditioned in Islamic societies, to regard their physical self as the repository of the family's honor and shame, and I have a major issue with that.  I think anything whether intended or otherwise is able to knock down the hidebound patriarchal edifice is not necessarily a bad thing is it?  People have dissed women in bikini for far too long.  This is a redressing of balance if you will, but for entirely different reasons.

1 comment:

  1. I am indifferent to the bikini or burkini. People should have the freedom to drape their bodies with whatever they chose too. There should not be a ban on outfits, especially if all someone is trying to do is be modest.

    ReplyDelete

#241

As they say, one should be gracious in victory and generous in defeat.  So, let me be generous enough in admitting that this sledgehammer o...