Sunday 12 July 2015

It's been more than 10 HRS, but I'm still reeling from such a high octane contest between Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer.  The quality of tennis was absolutely intoxicating.  Federer threw everything he'd got but Novak gave everything back with interest and some more and was the deserving champion.  He now joins John Mcenroe and his current coach Boris Becker as three time Wimbledon champion.  The more I have seen of Djokovic over the years, the more I have become one of his ardent admirer.
  This guy is one of the finest specimen of human being in terms of physical fitness and almost superhuman reservoir of energy and stamina.  Last evening during the game, Federer surely must have been thinking what do I need to do to derail this man!  Some people might think that Roger just couldn't reproduce the kind of tennis that be played against Andy Murray, but it's also one of the truism of any sport that you can only play as well as your opposition allows you to and in that sense Djokovic just knew what he was doing.  Boris Becker was my earlier hero, he was the most charismatic tennis player I have ever seen and it was because of him that I fell in love with the game in the first place.  So, it was fitting that as Novak's coach, he was cheering from the sidelines.
  As an aside, I could not believe that Kate Winslet was in the house, enjoying the contest, so it was all the more incumbent upon Djokovic to come up with the goods and did he do that or what!

No comments:

Post a Comment

#241

As they say, one should be gracious in victory and generous in defeat.  So, let me be generous enough in admitting that this sledgehammer o...