Thursday 28 August 2014

The Emmys are the biggest night in the world of English television.  And they didn’t disappoint in putting their best foot forward and presenting a grand show.  Seth Myers is one of the most charming and witty host I have seen.  It all comes so naturally to him.  But sometimes I think the award itself are becoming too predictable.  There is no element of surprise, maybe next year.  Even so, it was a bit surprising to see ‘’Downton Abbey’’ not winning any major awards.  Maybe because I am a huge fan of the show but anyway.  I have no hesitation in admitting that I’m a sucker for these shows, be it Academy, Golden Globe or Emmys, I have made it a point over the years to watch them.  I have a genuine admiration at how well they are organised and how beautifully they are presented.  The Indian award shows in comparison look so tawdry and disorganised.  I know it could be because I follow the English, especially American shows and therefore emotionally more invested in them and identify more with them than the shabby and lowbrow Indian shows.

Come to think of it, the golden years of Hollywood movies is perhaps over, but we’re really witnessing a golden period, indeed a sort of renaissance as far as television is concerned.  So many creatively gifted people crafting so much of compelling TV for us to savour.  From the shenanigans of a suburbia in ‘’Desperate Housewives’’ on the one hand to the tragic metamorphosis of a struggling high school chemistry teacher into a crystal meth king in ‘’Breaking Bad’’, from the social upheaval of the early 20th century, post Edwardian England in ‘’Downton Abbey’’ on one end of the spectrum to an ode to the America of the 60s warts and all in ‘’Mad Men’’ to the other.  And never mind such an abundance of hilarious comedies.  The point being that, if you are a connoisseur of quality content on television, you’ve never had it so good.


Talking about television, now I know that the so called reality show ‘’Keeping up with the Kardashians’’ is not many peoples idea of gripping television, in fact, it can be positively tortuous.  Just as an aside, I have a theory.  Even beautifully dumb women like Kim Kardashian and Paris Hilton can be a fruitful presence in life at times for their interpolation diffuses guilt.  I also think that they are far from dumb.  One runs a very profitable business and the other is a globe trotting DJ.  Off course you are free to disagree with me but that’s what I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#241

As they say, one should be gracious in victory and generous in defeat.  So, let me be generous enough in admitting that this sledgehammer o...