Tuesday 25 June 2013

facing the music, literally

[Enter Post Title Here]



Listening to good music is more than a pastime for me. It is an spiritual experience for me. When I tune in to my favourite songs, I drop everything else and just immerse myself in the sea of melody and forget about everything around me. Not for me listening to the music and reading simultaneously or talking with somebody at the same time. Music for me constitutes an act in itself requiring my full attention. Whether it is Indian music or western, I go for the older stuff like 60’s, 70’s or 80’s and I don’t like to experiment too much and look to meaningful lyrics and aching melody. They say that great art do not intend to blaze a new trail or reinvent the wheel but they point us to the direction that we already knew but we didn’t know that we knew! So whenever I listen to the likes of Sinatra, Doris Day or Pink Floyd or Nat King Cole or Bob Dylan, I am confronted with the emotions that existed deep within my core and were brought face to face. The same goes for the Indian music. The strange thing is that when I think about books, I want to read this book and that book as soon as possible for I feel I don’t have much time on my hands, but  as far as music is concerned, I want to make sure that I have just the right kind of peace and quite and I am willing to wait. It’s like delayed gratification because then I think that I have all the time in the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

#241

As they say, one should be gracious in victory and generous in defeat.  So, let me be generous enough in admitting that this sledgehammer o...