Wednesday 3 January 2018

#186

Well, she will be completing 70 on Sunday.  It is nobody's case that she has got the writing skills of Arundhati Roy.  But there is no doubt something compelling about her catty, not to mention a
chatty style that is quite impressive.  I have always considered her to be our very own Jackie Collins.  I still remember years ago, I and my sisters somehow managed to get our hands on a couple of her paperback titles.  Much before there was such a thing known as Amazon in India.  So what if the plot was convoluted, and sex was uniformly bad, at the time it seemed nothing short of an accomplishment.  Since then, we are all older and wiser, but in those days, trying to procure those slim books of her was our way of pushing the envelope on societal mores.  Thank you Shobhaa.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely admire her personality and how she can call a spade, a spade. Not a big fan of her writings, maybe not in the recent days. She was ahead of her time and maybe I enjoyed reading her newspaper articles on bold topics. Didn’t enjoy her book as much.

    ReplyDelete

#241

As they say, one should be gracious in victory and generous in defeat.  So, let me be generous enough in admitting that this sledgehammer o...