Monday 23 February 2015

What is it about this movie ‘Birdman’ that has created such a buzz, propelling it all the way to the best picture and best director Oscar winner?  I’ll have to find out by watching it.  I’m so happy for Eddie Redmayne; the guy did a stupendous job enacting such a severely disabled character of Stephen Hawking.  Whatever people might think a best actor Oscar trophy really validates your identity as an actor and a performer.  You leave a legacy behind you.  You don’t have to look any further than Tom Cruise; he’s been one of the most bankable stars in Hollywood for many years and yet the biggest hole in his career has been the conspicuous absence of this golden statue.
   By the same token, Julianne Moore, after doing years of good work gets her due reward by getting the best actress award for playing an academic professor, who struggles to cope with the onset of Alzheimer in the movie ‘Still Alice’.  Even though I would have loved to see ‘Boyhood’ win some of the awards, because this movie is close to my heart.  But never mind there were so many good selections to choose from that somebody had to miss out.

   On a different note, how wonderfully they present the show.  Everything works with clockwork precision and the warmth and camaraderie seems genuine.  This is one occasion when the actors aren’t actually acting.  I was desperately hoping that Kiera Knightly or Jennifer Lopez would come on the stage so that I could have had a better look at them in all their glory!  But I did get to see Jennifer Aniston and boy didn’t she look stunning!  And Meryl Streep’s tribute to those who passed on during the course of the year was truly moving.  And last but by no means least, Lady Gaga can sing!

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you Amit.. I had no idea about Birdman being so good. And what's with Grand Budapest getting so many Oscars?! I was hoping American Snipper would get one award too. I will never know what it takes for a movie to be Oscar worthy :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written....what amazes me mosT about these shows is the amazing antics and acts they put in between ...also yeah american sniper should have been somewhere on the winners list but as you said...someone had to miss out...but this ceremony was worth the wait....

    ReplyDelete

#241

As they say, one should be gracious in victory and generous in defeat.  So, let me be generous enough in admitting that this sledgehammer o...