As far as I am concerned, both Aazan and Hari-kirtan played on loudspeaker are equally intolerable. They not only annoy the hell out of me, I feel a sort of panic attack coming over me. If at all I am forced to choose, I would say that aazan lasts for not more than 2 minutes, so, I can manage that. But what about the endless hours of torture having to endure the loud blaring of kirtans, satsang, bhagwat puran not to mention mata ki chowki, which is so much in fashion these days among a section of the Hindu middle class. Sometimes, I do get the feeling that it's a deliberate assertion of religiosity in your face. Your right to play your devotional music ends exactly where my right to have some peace and quiet begins. India is already a hot and crowded place at the best of times. By displaying this overt fondness for different religion in public sphere, they are unleashing hell, not heaven.
Tuesday, 18 April 2017
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
#241
As they say, one should be gracious in victory and generous in defeat. So, let me be generous enough in admitting that this sledgehammer o...
-
A scandalous financial skullduggery takes place more than two decades ago. It takes 10 years to frame charges. A further 10 years of mean...
-
People ask you, how are you and you say I'm fine. But really, that's just a formal answer in a polite society. What is exactly fi...
-
I know for a fact that in India, people make too much fuss about your capacity to be an emotionally balanced human being if you have been ...
I agree! Sooner or later someone will bring this matter to the Centre by way of the suggestion box (Isn't there one?).
ReplyDeleteOne funny instance comes to my mind - during Ganpati festival, the mandaps used to play all devotional songs during the day. At night after aarti, they would tune in Bollywood songs and the organizers would enjoy dancing on the streets. It was hilarious to see the same audience enjoying raunchy number who earlier in the day drowned in saffron robes, tikas on their forehead and rosaries.